Wednesday 25 July 2007

Talking about the weather

Ever since I moved to the UK....... 9 years ago!, I have lived throught many many talks about the weather.

I never noticed what an important part of everybody's life the weather is. But specially how many conversations it generates.

I think I still don't fully understand why.... but here you have some guesses as of why the weather is such a used topic of conversation:
  • It is a common topic that allows anybody and everybody to join in
  • It provides a heartlighted chat without being intrusive about people's believes or lives
  • It fills empty spaces when you run out of conversation
  • Everybody can be an authority on the weather
  • It gives me a very general topic to start my blog!

I wonder if the weather talk is a cultural thing.... Could it be possible that there are cultures more shy about asking questions, and therefore need to have a non-important topic to talk to complete strangers?

It is interesting though how, me being Spanish, I'm finding myself keeping lots of weather conversation....

So I guess that if it would finally be sunny and warm, and people would then have a reason to spend more time out and about having fun and meeting friends. If the summer would finally arrive to London, like it has in may places in Europe, and for a few days it would stop raining. If I could finally wear my summer clothes and sit outside for a drink to see life go by, then the last thing on my mind would be having a conversation about the weather.

1 comment:

taniapsa said...

Loli, what would we talk about over here if we couldn't talk about the weather!!! shock horror! :) (she says VERY tongue in cheek...)
Time to find somewhere warm to dry out our bones!